Monday, July 6, 2020

Interview with N.J. Croft Author of The Descartes Evolution

After a number of years wandering the world in search of adventure, N.J. Croft finally settled on a farm in the mountains and now lives off-grid, growing almonds, drinking cold beer, taking in stray dogs, and writing stories where the stakes are huge and absolutely anything can happen.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE – http://njcroft.com/
TWITTER – https://twitter.com/NJ_Croft
FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/NJCroftThrillerwriter/





Welcome to Nuttin’ But Books. Tell us a little about you and your writing background?

I’m English, but I live on an almond farm in the mountains of southern Spain where I write full time. I first started writing when I was working as a volunteer in a remote African village. I quickly ran out of books to read and decided I would have to write my own instead. I write thrillers about the things that scare me in the world today. Plagues, global warming, bioweapons, pollution…

Tell us about your book?

The Descartes Evolution is about a man seeking revenge, a woman searching for the truth about who she is, and the ancient, secret organization that ties them together. An organization that has decided it’s time to take control of the world before we self-implode.

What is a regular writing day like for you?

I tend to write new words in the mornings, then do everything else, editing, marketing and so on, in the afternoons. At the moment, I get up early, about six, do chores around the farm before it gets too hot, and then settle down to write with my laptop, usually somewhere where I can’t get an internet signal. I write until my words are done for the day (I usually set a daily goal), then I’m allowed to return to my office and back to the internet.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

The actual writing of the first draft usually takes around a month, but I spend a lot of time plotting before I start writing and that can vary. Usually, at some point in the plotting process, my characters will start talking away in my head—that’s when I know I’m ready to start writing. Then after the first draft is completed, I probably take another month to edit.

What is the usual response when you tell a new acquaintance that you’re an author?

Most are interested in what I write and where I get my ideas from.

What do you do on those days you don’t feel like writing? Do you force it or take a break?

It depends on whether I’ve got a deadline. If I do, then I will push through. If I don’t, then likely I’ll spend the day reading instead and pass it off as  research.

What would you do if people around you didn’t take your writing seriously or see it as a hobby?

The people I am close to know I take my writing seriously and so they do as well. Other people—it doesn’t bother me.

Some authors seem to have a love-hate relationship to writing. Can you relate?

Definitely. Some days the words just flow and I can get totally lost in the story. Other days they have to be dragged out kicking and screaming. But I always love having written. That feeling when the words are down on the page.

Do you think success as an author must be linked to money?

I don’t think it must be, but money certainly makes it easier. A lot of writers have to work around a full time job and that makes releasing books regularly difficult. And if you self-publish, money enables you to get better covers, the best editors, pay for marketing.

Plus, money is a validation. Solid proof that people love your writing.

What has writing taught you?

Never to judge people on the surface. Because you don’t know their backstory. As a writer, I spend a lot of time thinking about motivations and making sure my characters have good reasons for the way they behave. We have to remember that writing mimics real life and there is always a reason.

How can readers discover more about you and your work?

Visit me at https://njcroft.com/

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. What’s next for you?

My next book, The Wall, about a world where we build a wall to keep people out, but it’s now being used to keep us in, releases in August.

 The Descartes Evolution is available to purchase at the following online stores:

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2zGHV65

 Barnes & Noble → https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-descartes-evolution-nj-croft/1137073479

Entangled Publishing → https://entangledpublishing.com/the-descartes-evolution.html

 Kobo → https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-descartes-evolution

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

❤Author Interview: True Crime Author Emilio Corsetti III #authorinterview

  Emilio Corsetti III is a retired airline pilot and the author of the bestselling nonfiction books 35 Miles From Shore and ...