Friday, August 21, 2020

Interview with Makenna Lee Author of Her Second Chance Cowboy


Makenna Lee is an award-winning romance author living in the Texas Hill Country with her real-life hero and their two children. Her oldest son has Down syndrome and taught her to appreciate the little things, and he inspired one of her novels. As a child, she played in the woods, looked for fairies under toadstools, and daydreamed. Her writing journey began when she mentioned all her story ideas, and her husband asked why she wasn’t writing them down. The next day she bought a laptop, started her first book, and knew she’d found her passion. Makenna is often drinking coffee while writing, reading, or plotting a new story. Her wish is to write books that touch your heart, making you feel, think, and dream. She enjoys renaissance festivals, nature photography, studying herbal medicine, and usually listens to Celtic music while writing. She writes for Entangled Publishing and Harlequin and believes everyone deserves a happy ending.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

 

Website: www.makennalee.com
Author Twitter: https://twitter.com/MakennaLeeBooks
Author Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MakennaLeeAuthor
Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/makennaleewriter/
Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/65227832-makenna-lee






Welcome to Nuttin’ But Books, Makenna. Tell us a little about you and your writing background?

I was a teacher for seventeen years, retired early, and spent a few years reading and making up stories in my head. When I mentioned these ideas to my husband, he asked why I wasn’t writing them down so he could retire early. I laughed and told him I didn’t know how to be a writer, but his belief in me gave me the confidence to give it a try. The next day I bought a laptop and started writing. I spent a few years learning the craft at conferences, in online classes, reading more books, and meeting other
authors. I’m a debut author at the age of fifty. It’s never too late to start a second career.

Tell us about your new book? I am so excited for you!

The idea for Her Second Chance Cowboy came to me when I was researching therapeutic horseback riding for my son who has Down syndrome. My first book’s hero is a cowboy who wants to start an equine therapy program for special needs children.

Reese Turner left Cypress Creek with a broken heart. Now, she’s back chasing her dream of working as a photographer for National Geographic and trying to buy back her family land. But surprise… Her grandparents’ farm is owned by James MacLachlan, the cowboy who still holds a piece of her heart, and he’s not willing to sell any property. She hasn’t come to reconnect with an old flame, no matter how quickly the spark reignites. Getting involved with a tied-to-the-land cowboy poses a risk to her career plans.

When James broke Reese’s heart, he broke his own, and he’s never forgotten her. He’s content running his massive family ranch and has been hurt enough that he doesn’t even consider a serious relationship—until the girl that got away comes back. To keep her from trying to buy the property, he offers her the use of her grandparents’ cottage, believing that having her around only now and then is a safe way to have her in his life. They decide to hang out for the summer with no strings, but the heart can’t be governed by their list of summer rules. Can a second chance heal old wounds…or will it rebreak their hearts?

What is a regular writing day like for you?

I don’t stick to a strict daily schedule. I keep telling myself I will, but my family and pets often have other ideas. I do my best writing first thing in the morning before checking social media and getting sidetracked. Coffee is a must-have throughout the day.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

I would love to be a fast writer, but I’m not. My first book took several years because I was still learning the craft of writing while working on it. Since then, I have written two and a half more books, and they have not taken as long as the first. Hopefully, each book will come to me faster than the last.

What is the usual response when you tell a new acquaintance that you’re an author?

People often seem surprised and say they’ve never met an author. Some think it’s really cool, and a few ask how much money a writer makes. An older gentleman asked if I write romance because it’s the easiest. I bit my tongue and told him I write the stories that are in my heart.

What do you do on those days you don’t feel like writing? Do you force it or take a break?

There are days I don’t feel inspired or motivated, but I try to make myself write something. Sometimes it’s only a paragraph, but I’ll take it. Every word is progress, especially with all of the events happening in the year 2020.


What would you do if people around you didn’t take your writing seriously or see it as a hobby?

I am so lucky I haven’t had to experience people treating my passion as a hobby. My family and friends have been very supportive and encouraged me through all the stages of starting a new career. If I didn’t have this support, I probably wouldn’t be a published author.

Some authors seem to have a love-hate relationship to writing. Can you relate?

I do have the occasional “what have I gotten myself into” thoughts, but I can’t imagine not writing. The dreaded impostor syndrome occasionally sneaks in, and I have to push aside the fear that publishing a book is something only other people can do. I love writing, and I know not everyone will like my books, but here’s to hoping I have a few fans.

Do you think success as an author must be linked to money?

No, not for me. Becoming a published author feels like a success. If I can take readers into my imaginary world and bring them joy and entertainment, then that’s an even bigger success.

What has writing taught you?

Writing has taught me that I’m capable of more than I thought, and it is helping me get over my fear of putting myself out there for people to judge. It is teaching me to have a thicker skin.

How can readers discover more about you and your work?

I would love for readers to come hang out with me on social media. All of the links and my newsletter can be found on my website. www.makennalee.com

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. What’s next for you?

I am working on a three-book series for Harlequin Special Edition called Home to Oak Hollow. The first is titled A Sheriff’s Star and will release in November of 2020. It’s the story of a single mother of a little girl with Down syndrome. This book is very close to my heart and dedicated to my son who has made me appreciate the little things in life. The second book in the series is about a man who becomes the guardian of his autistic nephew. It releases in July 2021. I’m currently writing the third book that will be available in November of 2021. Thank you so much for letting me share my writing journey. Happy reading!


 Her Second Chance Cowboy is available to purchase at the following online stores: 
 

Amazon  

https://amzn.to/3ewdGh7

Entangled Pub   

https://bit.ly/3dCDZRT

No comments:

Post a Comment

❤Author Interview: True Crime Author Emilio Corsetti III #authorinterview

  Emilio Corsetti III is a retired airline pilot and the author of the bestselling nonfiction books 35 Miles From Shore and ...