Interview with Joni Parker Author of CALL FROM HOME




Writing fantasy novels is what Joni Parker loves to do. She’s just completed her third series, “The Admiralty Archives,” a trilogy. Her first series, “The Seaward Isle Saga,” includes three books and a short story, while her second, “The Chronicles of Eledon,” has four books. An award-winning novelist, she’s also branched off into short stories, joining local authors in an anthology called, “Beyond Tucson: Adventures in the Multiverse.” Her writing career began after 22 years in the U.S. Navy and another 7 years in federal civil service. She currently resides in Tucson, Arizona with her sister.







Welcome to Nuttin’ But Books. Tell us a little about you and your writing background.

I was born in Chicago and when I was eight, my family moved to Japan so my Dad could become a golf pro. I was thirteen when we came back. I graduated high school in Phoenix, Arizona and dropped out of Arizona State after one semester. I joined the Navy and became a photographer. After three years, I got out and went back to college. This time, I graduated and went back in the Navy, completing a total of 22 years of service. After my husband passed away, I went back to work until I got the writing bug. I retired from work to devote my time to writing. I’m a current member of the Writers’ League of Texas, even though I no longer live in the state, but it allows me to take their Zoom classes about writing. In


addition, I also belong to the Tucson Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Group.

Tell us about your book.

My book, Call From Home, is the third book in the Admiralty Archive series. My main character, Alex Dumwalt, has been exiled from Eledon, the Elf world and is living in London. In this book, she finds reminders of home calling her back to Eledon but she knows she can’t go home…yet.

What is a regular writing day like for you?

I start my day exercising. It gets my brain and body working. Then I sit down at my computer, review my emails, post to social media sites, and take care of any other chores. Once the distractions are done, I sit down and write.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

This is a really hard question because I don’t track it. I just start writing and if it takes a month or two months for the rough draft, then so be it. I found a file in my computer for this book that was dated August 2018, which is over 2 years ago. But I probably started on it before that. I usually let it sit for a while and then begin the editing process.

What is the usual response when you tell a new acquaintance that you’re an author?

The usual response is to ask me what I write. When I say fantasy, they think I write children’s books. They don’t think fantasy books can be for adults, but I do.


What do you do on those days you don’t feel like writing? Do you force it or take a break?

I’ll take a break. But if it drags on beyond a day, I’ll force myself to write something.

What would you do if people around you didn’t take your writing seriously or see it as a hobby?

To be honest, I don’t think most people take my writing seriously. I write anyway because I enjoy it.

Some authors seem to have a love-hate relationship to writing. Can you relate?

Yeah, there are times when I think: What’s the point? But after a day of not doing anything, I think: What’s the point? I need to be writing.

Do you think success as an author must be linked to money?

No. In my case, I think my mental well-being is just as important. Writing gives me a purpose in life.

What has writing taught you?


That all your life experiences are important. You can use them for your characters.

How can readers discover more about you and your work?

I have a website at http://www.joni-parker.com

On Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7191836.Joni_Parker

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJoniParker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ParkerJoni

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. What’s next for you?

I’m working on a new series called the Epsilon Account. I have rough drafts for four books. The first book may be ready for primetime next summer. It features the same main character, Alex Dumwalt and her adventures with the Golden Harvest. Every four thousand years, the Elves pay their Mentors in gold for being able to live on Eledon, the planetoid created for them.



 CALL FROM HOME is available to purchase at Amazon.
 

❤Inside the Pages: THE BEST LIFE BOOK CLUB by Sheila Roberts #bookspotlight #insidethepages

  Karissa Newcomb is ready for a new start in a new neighborhood, as far away as she can get from Seattle, where her husband che...